Monday, September 27, 2010

Restaurants: Deacon's Corner

Big M and I went downtown on Sunday to the Word on the Street festival. I love a good CBC event. I am sure Big M went to make sure that I didn't run away with Jian Ghomeshi.

Turns out that I had my timing wrong and we (I) didn't get to see him. But I did get a new CBC pen. Close enough.

Since we were downtown and I was hungry, we went back to Deacon's Corner for some brunch. We had gone with Wendy, Gabs and Rocket a couple of weeks ago but I forgot my camera. A good excuse to go back.  It was about 1:30 so the breakfast rush had finished and we were seated right away at a booth.

219

I really like this joint. The staff is friendly and not hipster-aloof, which could easily happen here. The place is always packed with the cool kids. They have a nice amount of seating with a cool atmosphere. They even have Tshirts. They have some fun menu items that vary from the regular breakfast offerings.

I am drawn to the:
Carolina Pancakes & Eggs.................13.00
Two buttermilk pancakes layered with house made
pulled pork and your choice of eggs

Sausage & Biscuits............................8.50
House made biscuits, sausage, country gravy and
hashbrowns

But they keep tempting me with their special board. Last time I was there, I got the special which was a turkey/fruity sausage with eggs. This time it was Breakfast Poutine $9.50.

213

It's like they knew I was coming and created this especially for me. The board left out bacon but it was in there.

215

The eggs were cooked perfectly. I like a well done egg. I had forgotten to tell them in my gravy/cheese excitement but they were not runny at all when they showed up. The poutine was not made with traditional curds, it had a mozzarella/cheddar mix. Kind of like I used to do at home when I was fat and didn't have curds but wanted cheesy fries anyway.  A dreamy combination in a perfect portion size.

Big M went with his standby of a Club House sandwich:
Clubhouse....................................11.50
Chicken breast, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo

216

That was a huge sandwich. Big M and I enjoyed the fries. Mine because they were covered in gravy and he liked the size and flavoring. We ate every bite, both meals were that good.  I didn't even offer him any to try, I wanted it all.

217

Deacon's Corner on Urbanspoon

A big thanks to Team Goldsmith for introducing us to Deacon's Corner!  I am always on the lookout for a good breakfast joint.  This came at a great time as our previous favorite was taken off the list due to falling service and increased cost.

Long live the new brunch, long live Deacon's Corner.

1 comment: