Thursday, August 26, 2010

The PNE

Big M and I went to the PNE last night. I haven't been in years, and Big M for the first time ever. One of my first memories ever was eating a blue sno-cone that my father had bought me at the PNE. Not surprising that my first memory is of food. The other first memory is about napping.

Last night's free concert was Huey Lewis and the News; an excellent reason to hit the fair. Another reason- mini donuts.

PNE 003

One of the food tricks that I have, post JC, is that I am only allowed to eat mini donuts when at a Fair. The last time I had mini donuts was at the Calgary Stampede 2 years ago. Needless to say, I was super excited about the donuts. We hit up a generic donut stand and the sugar fest started!

PNE 004

Our next choice, before the concert, was a lumberjack show or food. The lumberjacks were exciting, but we went with food. It would have been a different choice if it were Superdogs.... The PNE food row is my ideal for street food in Vancouver. I would love to see a row of street carts that are all together like this downtown somewhere. It was very international. The smoked meat booth had a huge line up. I liked the look of the Sausage Haus, but we decided to stop at an Italian booth for Veal on a Bun- $9.50. I was really amused by the idea of eating veal from a street cart.

PNE 008

The sandwich was HUGE. I was impressed with how tasty it was. The onion, garlic, red and green pepper mix was freshly cut and cooked while we waited then served piping hot. The meat was not tough and seasoned well in a fresh bun. We had to find a place to sit down and eat the sandwiches as they were really sloppy. Big M had the foresight to grab forks, which really helped.

There were so many people at the Huey Lewis concert. Sarah- we tried to find you but I think the big hair of the suburbs ladies blocked you out. So we went to the beer garden.

PNE 013

Thanks to drunk guy who took this picture.

The beer lineup was huge! Everyone was buying 2-4 beers at a time so they didn't have to go back. We had an indie rock sighting as well, the bass player from S.T.R.E.E.T.S. was there with some equally indie rock friends. I think one was the drummer from Ladyhawke.

I will miss you all when I move to my new dream home in Kelowna.

The Fair was fun and I was happy that we rode our bikes (which explains the helmet hair in all the pictures) so that we could work off the grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment