Thursday, January 26, 2012

Olympia Bar & Grill

I wasn't sure where to go to eat one day so I started towards Granville Street to see what caught my fancy. I chose the Olympia Bar & Grill because I am pretty sure this location used to be a Taco Time when I lived downtown. That amused me, so I went in to check it out. I like not knowing what is going to happen when wandering into a random restaurant. Will it be an amazing? Will it be a giant mistake? Find out what happened, after the jump.

Olympia 005

To end that dramatic cliffhanger, it turned out to be an awesome meal! I love when that happens. Olympia Bar & Grill has a Greek food focus with a bonus all-day breakfast menu. The inside is dark and cozy, it felt a bit like an upscale sports pub as there were big TVs on the wall playing sports. There is seating for around 40 or so. The front is all giant windows so there was plenty of natural light. There is also a nice sized patio on the front.

Olympia 001

Since it was a Greek restaurant, I went for a Greek lunch. Lamb wrap $8.95- Tzatziki, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and feta served on a pita. All sandwiches and wraps are served with fries or green salad. I asked for half fries half salad, which they did. Good move, in my books. They also gave me the choice of Greek or green salad so I chose Greek!

Olympia 004

I was so impressed with this meal! Everything was fresh cooked, and the right temperature. The salad was warm, and not straight out of the fridge. This is bonus points for me as I like my cheese at room temperature. The pita was warm and fluffy with a nice crispy outside while the lamb had a nice char on the outside without being dry on the inside. The fries were crispy with a bit of seasoning on them. Perfect amount of fries for me. I like a few fries that I don't feel bad for finishing.

All told, my meal came in under $10.00. I was so happy that I went back for another visit with Courtney. She went for the Chicken wrap $8.95. The same as the lamb wrap, but with chicken. She also chose the green salad. She has a weird thing against cucumbers.

olympia2 001

She also really enjoyed the wrap. The chicken turned out moist and she liked the flavours. Another winner.

I moved away from the Greek and tried a burger. I don't have the description of the burger, but I was again able to get half salad/half fries. The price was under $10.00.

olympia2 002

The burger was great! The patty looked like it was home made and it was cooked to just done so it was really juicy. The bun was toasted so that added a nice crunch. I liked the salad dressing they used, I think it was a balsamic vinaigrette, it was tangy.

Olympia Bar and Grill turned out to be a wonderful surprise. The service was friendly, the food was great and the atmosphere was warm. The location, on the corner of Granville and Smithe, would make the patio a great people watching spot in the summer time. I will be back, so I will let you know.

Olympia Bar Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment