Friday, May 20, 2011

Falafel Maison

You know that game where you have to pick the one food you would be stranded on a deserted island with? For me, it would be a hard toss up between the pan-fried vegetarian dumplings from the deeply missed Sha Lin Noodles, or a shawarma plate. I L.O.V.E. shawarma. Think of the heavenly smell of walking past a shawarma place with the meat rotating on the spit.... Sigh.

Back in the days before I found JC I used to have Shawarma Tuesdays (and usually Thursdays) every week. Apres JC, I have only been a couple of times. Like poutine, I have made the switch to make it a special treat rather than a regular occurrence.

So it was a special day that brought me to Falafel Maison on Robson St. They are located in that strip of restaurants that are across from the Library by Japadog and Viet Sub. A great place to go if you are not quite sure what you want...  I, however, had no doubts that I wanted a shawarma plate.

Falafel Maison 005

As with the other restaurants in that strip, Falafel Maison gets really busy at lunch and they have minimal seating for maybe 10 people at the most. Not a problem in the summer when you can join the office workers who lunch on the steps of the Library. If it is raining or cold then you would want to get there early if you want a seat.

Falafel Maison 004

I am amused that I don't know what their falafel is like, because that is the food that is in the name. I always get distracted by this:

Falafel Maison 003

I really like the whole process of cutting the chicken off of the spit so I was disappointed a bit when she gave me chicken from the chaffing dish.

Falafel Maison 001

It was a very nice plate of shawarma. The tabbouleh was light and fresh with an excellent amount of lemon and not too many onions. No grain involved though.  The chicken was moist and flavorful and a very generous portion. I like the version of hummus that they serve as well. Tangy and smooth. Next time I go back I will ask for less rice as it was too much rice for me.  It also comes with a piece of pita.

Falafel Maison 002

Nothing special there, it is a pita from a bag.  Comes in it's own basket though.  I would prefer if it was served cut up into smaller pieces.
Hm. Writing this post has made me really hungry.  I think today is a special day...

Falafel Maison on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment