Wednesday, March 14, 2012

West

Ever since Sarah and I went to the food installment of Pecha Kucha, we have wanted to visit West and the food of Quang Dang. We really liked his presentation and how he spoke about his passion for food. Along came Dine Out Vancouver and our opportunity to head out to Granville Street and give it a try for ourselves.

West 012

I was excited by this visit because I have heard really good things about West but I don't get to this side of town very often. It was like a field trip!

The restaurant is beautiful on the inside. A glass hanging sculpture runs along the high ceiling. The tables are stone topped with leather chairs. My favorite feature was the wall treatment. I loved the embroidered material!

West 001

Here is where I admit my folly. I didn't take a picture of the Dine Out menu as I figured I would be able to refer back to it on the website. Well, no. They took the menus down. I apologize that there won't be lovely menu descriptions of the food, but the pictures really do speak to how awesome they were.

Sarah's first course was a trout salad.

West 003

She felt the fish was cooked very well and the plate was very beautifully presented.

I went with the carrot, ginger soup.

West 004

The soup was poured over the carrot pieces table side, and I really enjoy that. Table side presentation makes me happy. I enjoyed the soup, but I was not blown away. Maybe my expectations were too high for a carrot soup, but I really thought carrot soup at West would be crazy-amazing. It was tasty and certainly better than I make.

Sarah chose the salmon entree.

West 006

She again thought the fish was really well cooked and the sauces went really well with the meal.

I chose the mushroom cannelloni.

West 007

I really, really liked this dish. It smelled fantastic as it was brought to the table. The serving size was perfect and I could eat that sauce as a side on every dish that I eat from now on.
Next up was one of the reasons that West has won my heart, they served a pre-dessert. Best idea ever.

West 009

I was so excited by the idea of dessert before dessert that I couldn't hold the camera steady for a picture. The sorbet was grape with a side of grapes. It was fresh and lovely.

On to actual dessert! Sarah went with chocolate:

West 010

I went with a buttermilk pound cake with passion fruit and pineapple.

West 011

The desserts were perfect. I didn't try Sarah's as I didn't want to have to share mine! The cake was thick and moist and went so well with the fresh fruit.

We had a lovely time at West. I can see why they have won awards for service because our waiter was fantastic. Helpful with drink suggestions and quite funny.

Thanks Quang Dang, we really enjoyed our meal.

West 008

West Restaurant + Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment